Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why a Blog?

Welcome to my blog,

So my parents always thought that people who wrote letters to the editor and the sort were lonely and pathetic. I wrote a few just to piss them off – one was an open letter to the thief who stole my bicycle when I was 15, one was a satirical response to an editorial about the Irish troubles, and one attacked a catholic who had attacked protestants. Nevertheless, notwithstanding my own endless craving for attention and fame, I have maintained a healthy suspicion of bloggers, Speaker's Corner types and others who spend inordinate amounts of time expressing their opinions to strangers in public forums.

I am a talker and story teller by nature and many friends have strongly encouraged me to create a blog....but that still, small voice of my parents lingered in my head.

So what changed my mind? Well, a litany of ramblings in private journals, short stories and novels begun but never finished, uncontrolled rants and raves to anyone who would listen, endless arguments with myself as I walk the dogs - just don't cut it for me anymore. I need to connect, to communicate, to hear and be heard. I am a seeker and I guess a reformer on the enneagram. I have been through the religious thing, the political thing, the self-help thing, the corporate thing, the travel thing, the personal fulfilment thing, and the animal rights thing - well still into animal rights. And still I seek.

I am too old to believe that anyone has a corner on the truth, but just old enough to realize that everyone has a piece of it.

And so, I will try the blog thing to see if I can do my part to impart my piece of the truth and get yours. Perhaps it will go the way of my many half full journals and unfinished stories. Or maybe I'll share my unfinished stories...and maybe you will finish them...and maybe we can get rich together. At the very least, this will give me a cool forum for my thoughts, and I can stop talking to myself as I walk my dogs on the Champs de Mars....and who knows...maybe I will find that "low door in the wall".

And apologies to my parents - who taught me well - but couldn't possibly be right abut everything.

No comments: